Friday, October 7, 2011

Perception & Ways of Knowing (Logical Reasoning)

Perception
  • trust senses => better combined. 
  • illusion
  • empiricism
  • 'tabula rasa'
  • perception filters => subjectivity (view of the world)
    • empathy
    • confirmation bias
Growing up in an international environment, I think the difference in perception is something I've dealt with more than most my whole life. Although I do know that we live in a 'bubble'- being in an affluent country- I feel that I've met people who've come from such different backgrounds I can emphasize or at least understand there are so many ways of thinking out there I don't or can't understand. 
I also feel that my Japanese background helps me understand this: Japan has such a different secluded culture, which I have not grown up in but understand a lot of, which I know most 'foreigners' (most people who've lived in Japan would understand this notion) just won't understand. 

Ways of Knowing: Logical Reasoning
  • Argument/Premise/Conclusion
  • Sound Logic
  • A valid/true argument
  • A logical fallacy
  • Inductive/Deductive Logic
  • Inductive Sufficiency
  • Fallacy:
    • Appeal to fear & false choice
    • Ad hominem
    • False Clause
My bringing up gives me strong opinions on this subject. My mother is strong at deductive logic (a=b, b=c, thus a=c is a favorite phrase of hers), and because of this both my brother (identical to my mother) and my mother are rather genius mathematicians. Although I don't have this talent, I've been raised to use sound logic with my mother, who gets rather irritated with illogical things. I am more a person with inductive logic, which comes from my father. As for fallacies, I am almost oblivious to most fallacies: I just don't seem to see them when people around me pick up fallacies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment